New generation high-res Multi-track Handheld Recorder
The new Launcher system and 3.5-inch color touch panel allow smooth navigation to select the best audio settings that match the application. Taking advantage of these presets, users will have more time to focus on the actual recording without the need to struggle with complicated settings.
|MANUAL||This is the basic app of the unit. Multitrack recording of up to six channels is possible.||VOICE||This recording app is good for capturing interviews, dictation and meetings.|
|PODCAST||This is good for recording podcasts with up to four people.||MUSIC||This recording app is good for easily capturing instrumental and vocal performances.|
|FIELD||This recording app is good for recording outdoors.||ASMR||The screen visual effect changes in response to the input sound.|
The Portacapture X8 provides a preset level setting to achieve a wide dynamic range utilizing the premium dual AD converters and 32-bit float point recording technology. The result is content with uncompromised audio quality even with low level recordings. The audio data can be edited and increased later without deteriorating the S/N (signal-to-noise ratio). Also the internal normalize function allows automatic level alignment of the 2-mix file after recording. Combining these features, there's no need to use valuable creative time finding the right audio level that matches the recording.
Utilizing plug-and-go driverless functionality, the Portacapture X8 can be used as a compact mixer with built-in microphones for live streaming via OBS or similar platforms, and also offers direct recording of video narration and dialogue directly to DAW and editing software. The Portacapture X8 streams up to 8 tracks (6 inputs and 2mix) through USB. By supporting the USB Type-C Power Delivery standard, Portacapture X8 can provide phantom power to each external mic at once with USB bus power. For video or audio conferencing, use the Portacapture X8 as your USB microphones and even record the audio simultaneously.
The Portacapture X8 comes with two 14.6mm diameter built-in microphones, the largest in our lineup. Employing a detachable mechanism, both L and R microphones can be flexibly attached/detached from the main unit to form A-B / True X-Y mic patterns.
Wireless remote control is possible via mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets (iPad and Android devices) using the optional AK-BT1 Bluetooth dongle and the Portacapture Control app, which can be downloaded free of charge from the App Store or Google Play.
(Added in V1.20)
Adding timecode sync greatly helps the post-editing process by aligning files on a time basis, especially for projects using multiple cameras or recorders.
Wireless timecode sync is available with Atomos AtomX SYNC, UltraSync BLUE and other compatible products such as ATOMOS CONNECT and SHOGUN CONNECT. The optional AK-BT1 Bluetooth adapter for Portacapture X8 is required.
The Portacapture X8 can simultaneously record up to 8 tracks in total (6 tracks + 2 mix). From monaural audio recording to multi-track music recording, the Portacapture X8 can be flexibly adapted for a wide range of applications.
For the XLR/TRS inputs, TASCAM know-how utilizing the in-house-developed HDDA (High Definition Discrete Architecture) mic preamps - enables high-quality audio recording.
With its 2 built-in stereo mics, 4 XLR inputs with support for both mic and line-level*, EXT-IN, LINE OUT, and CAMERA IN/OUT connections, the Portacapture X8 is a versatile portable recorder with an abundance of IN/OUT choices.* Maximum input level : +24dBu
The unit's external mechanism provides flexible functionality. Portacapture X8 can be easily mounted on top of cameras and tripods, and be combined with AV rigs. The rear cold shoe mount also makes it possible to attach mic holders and/or wireless receivers.*Adapters and cables not included
Features at a glance
- Intuitive Launcher system using a 3.5-inch color touch panel display
- Recording applications such as basic multi-track recording, podcasting, music, voice (interviews, vlog), field recording, ASMR and more
- 4 XLR/TRS locking combo jack MIC/LINE inputs with individual phantom power supply (24V/48V) and in-house-developed HDDA (High Definition Discrete Architecture) mic preamps
- Supports up to 192kHz/ 32-bit float point recording
- Detachable 14.6mm large-diaphragm condenser mics for both A-B position and X-Y position
- Includes 8-in/2-out USB audio interface function
※Internal mics can be used as a USB audio source
※Internal recording to SD card is available while the unit is functioning in USB audio interface mode
- Internal multi-track recording up to 8 tracks (6 tracks + 2 mix)
- TASCAM Portacapture Control app for wireless remote control via mobile devices (with optional AK-BT1 Bluetooth adapter)
- Wireless timecode sync with supported devices from Atomos (with optional AK-BT1 Bluetooth adapter, added in V1.20)
- Dual recording mode enables each track to be recorded in a different file format
- Equipped with a variety of functions such as low-cut filter, compressor, limiter, auto-gain control, reverb, noise gate and normalize
- CAMERA/EXT input allows audio recorded on a camera to be monitored and also supports audio input of wireless microphones and more
- CAMERA/LINE output with attenuation function allows for sending audio to external devices like cameras, etc.
- Audio monitoring is possible with either headphone output or the built-in speaker
- Supports micro SD/micro SDHC/micro SDXC (up to 512GB) recording media
- Equipped with a Mark function and slate tone function
- Powered by 4 AA batteries, USB bus power, or optional AC adapter (PS-P520U)
- Support multi-language menu display (English, Japanese, French, Spanish, German, Italian, Chinese, Korean, Russian)
- Portacapture X8 x 1
- Included mics x 1(left/right pair)
- AA alkaline batteries x 4
- Owner's Manual (including warranty)
- TASCAM ID registration guide